Register to attend YMAC meetings on 10, 11 and 14 June about draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Bill
Posted: June 4th, 2021
Representatives from Prescribed Bodies Corporate and Traditional Owners from YMAC’s representative region are invited to attend meetings to discuss the draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Bill.
YMAC believes there is great risk that should the draft bill circulated in 2020 be adopted, Aboriginal people will continue to take the backseat in critical decisions about important cultural sites. Consultation on the draft bill has been poor and YMAC is concerned Traditional Owners have limited or no understanding of the draft laws.
- YMAC update on advocacy work undertaken on the bill to date,
- Discuss outstanding concerns about the draft bill that may negatively impact Traditional Owners if the draft bill in the form distributed in 2020 goes through.
- Discuss action to achieve equity for Traditional Owners in the new laws.
Note: The Pilbara meetings have been called for by concerned Pilbara Traditional Owners and will also include discussion on working together to better protect heritage in the region.
Meetings are being facilitated by YMAC on the following dates.
- Thursday 10 June – Karratha: 9:30am to 2pm at the Red Earth Arts Precinct, 27 Welcome Road Karratha
- Friday 11 June – Port Hedland: 9:30am to 2pm in the Ocean Room at the Hedland Hotel, Cnr Lukis and McGregor Street, Port Hedland
- Monday 14 June – Carnarvon: 9:30am to 2pm, Wool Shed Hall, 21 Robinson Street, Carnarvon
To assist catering please RSVP to email@example.com or call YMAC on 1800 270 709 to find out more.