Posted: February 4th, 2021
Reconciliation Australia’s ‘Indigenous Governance Program’ recognises, supports, and promotes strong Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander governance and self-determination. More than ever, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations and leaders are drawing on 60,000 years plus of First Nations knowledge and culture to adapt to current events with resilience, creativity and decisiveness.
To acknowledge and share such success stories from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations around Australia, each year, Reconciliation Australia runs their ‘Indigenous Governance Awards’. Applying for the awards is a great opportunity to reflect on the governance of your organisation or group and to receive expert advice based on your application (noting, all applications receive feedback from the judging panel).
There are three categories of award for outstanding examples of governance in Indigenous-led:
- non-incorporated initiatives or projects
- small to medium incorporated organisations (under $1 million annual revenue)
- large incorporated organisations ($1 million and over annual revenue)
Category winners will receive $20,000 to assist their organisation, project or initiative, and the highly commended winners in each category will each be awarded $10,000. Additionally, all finalists receive an awards package comprising:
- A 12-month partnership with a high profile corporate partner, who will provide mentoring and assistance in an area identified by the finalist.
- An award to commemorate their achievement.
- Travel for two members from each finalist organisation to attend the awards presentation event.
- A communications package of photos and footage from the judge’s site visit to their organisation.
- Promotion as a finalist in the Indigenous Governance Awards on the awards website and other coverage.
YMAC was honoured to have been acknowledged as a finalist in the ‘Indigenous Governance Awards 2018’. You can see more about this here.
Applications for the ‘Indigenous Governance Awards 2021’ are open now and will close on Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
To find out more about the awards, please visit their website here.
Should you need any assistance completing an application, please contact email@example.com.